What is it about Summer and kabobs that go together so perfectly? This recipe (originally from Food Network) was actually one of M’s finds and with a few tweaks, it became the perfect weeknight Summer dish for us. The ingredients could easy be swapped for whatever you have in your fridge — steak and peaches or chicken and zucchini. Admittedly, this dish would be far more Summery if it was cooked on an actual grill, but it is what it is in an apartment.
Start by cutting your peppers into 1″ squares. Quarter the red onion and then cut eat quarter in half width wise. Slice a few green onions into 1″ pieces.
Next, cut your chicken sausage into 1″ pieces. I used Traders Joe’s brand chicken sausage with roasted garlic. It is all natural so you don’t have to worry about any weird ingredients.
Place your ingredients in a large bowl and add the cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Thread your sausage and vegetables on your kabob skewers, alternating sausage with the vegetables. (By the way, have you picked up a set of these reusable skewers yet? Huge fan.)
Preheat the grill to high and drizzle with olive oil. Add the skewers and cook for 6-7 minutes until charred.
While the kabobs cook, combine green onion, parsley, cilantro, olive oil and apple cider vinegar in a food processor to form a pesto.
Brush over kabobs before turning. Brush again and allow the kabobs to cook for an additional 6-7 minutes.
Stir any remaining pesto into your side — I recommend farro or couscous on the side.
- 2 bell peppers (red and yellow), cut into chunks
- 2 scallions cut into 1" pieces
- 1 (12-ounce) package chicken sausage (preferably garlic-flavored), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into chunks
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to high.
- Toss the bell peppers, sausage, onion and tomatoes in a bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Thread onto the skewers, alternating the sausage and vegetables.
- Grill, turning, until the vegetables are slightly softened and the sausage begins to brown, 6 to 7 minutes.
- While the sausage cooks, puree the parsley, cilantro and scallions in a blender with 2 tablespoons olive oil and the vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the skewers with some of the pesto and continue to cook, turning, until the tomatoes are tender and the sausage is charred, 6 to 7 more minutes.