I’m back from a fantastic weekend in Atlanta! M and I drove to visit his best friend and wife’s two-and-a-half month old baby, who is absolutely precious. We made them M’s favorite dinner on Saturday before staying up quite late chatting and drinking too much wine and beer. Sunday morning, we all headed to brunch at Nose Dive where I had an awesome macaroni and cheese with chicken, poached eggs, and fried chicken skins. I really wanted the grits bar too, but there’s only so many carbs one girl can have.
In the afternoon, we drove to M’s parents house and spent the evening visiting with them. Monday it was time for me to head to the airport and back to a very snowy DC. Can you believe 7″ were waiting for me on my car when I got home? Yuck. I picked up the dog and returned to a very empty and quiet house.
Some (more) comfort food was just the ticket for me, and it has become a bit of a tradition for me to make my Mom’s pasta whenever M is out of town. It has a ton of olives in it, which M absolutely hates (and I love), so I can never make it when he is around. This dish is more of a “dump” dish so it’s quick and easy for a weeknight.
Boil a pot of well salted water and add in your favorite pasta. I used penne, but this is great on linguine or rotini also. Cook according to package directions.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add 4-5 minced garlic cloves.
Add in red pepper flakes to taste. Saute until fragrant.
Add in one can of diced tomatoes. I used fire roasted tomatoes, but Italian seasoned or plain are also great in this dish.
Add in a small can of sliced black olives. Allow the sauce to reduce and thicken.
Dice 3/4 cup of mozzarella and 1/4 cup basil and add it to the sauce.
Allow the cheese to melt into the sauce.
Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce. Add in an additional 1/4 cup of diced mozzarella and additional fresh basil.
Stir to coat and serve.
- 1 lb pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 6 oz can pre-sliced black olives
- 3/4 cup plus 1/4 c of mozzarella, diced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons basil, chopped
- Boil a pot of well salted water and add pasta. Cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Saute until fragrant.
- Add diced tomatoes and olives. Allow the sauce to reduce and thicken.
- Add mozzarella and basil, stirring to incorporate.
- Add reserved pasta to the sauce as well as additional mozzarella and basil. Stir to coat and serve.