You guys, it happened: we finally, FINALLY found a chicken breast recipe we like. In fact, I’d go so far as to say we love it. It’s crazy how nearly a week post-Reboot we still crave healthy meals with lots of flavor. Warning: this piri piri chicken dish is a bit spicy, so if you are sensitive to spice, cut the chili powder down a bit. This would also be awesome on the grill — I’ve earmarked it for the next time our friends invite us to grill out. It’s super simple too…
Whisk together olive oil, fresh lemon juice, vinegar and a ton of spices (minced garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne, chili powder, paprika, oregano and ginger). Add to a resealable bag or a small Pyrex dish. Add in a small chopped onion and boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Turn to coat and set in the fridge to marinate. I put mine in the marinade in the morning, but you could also marinade it the night before.
Preheat the oven to 400. Heat an oven proof pan (I used my cast iron) over high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and add to the pan. Reserve the marinade.
Cook 4-5 minutes per side until browned.
Add the reserved marinade to the pan and place in the oven.
Cook for 30-40 minutes, turning once. The total time will depend on the thickness, mine were pretty thick.
Serve with pan juices.
- Juice of two lemons
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- In a large dish, whisk together everything except for the chicken. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or at least three hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Heat an oven-proof skillet over high heat until very hot. Add chicken breasts to the pan, reserving marinade. Let cook for four or five minutes per side, until nice and browned.
- Pour the reserved marinade into the pan, covering the chicken. Transfer the pan to the pre-heated oven.
- Cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes (depending on thickness of chicken breasts), or until cooked through.