We’re in full scale pantry clean out mode over here. This Saturday marks six Saturday’s until we’ll be packing up the Penske and heading South. I don’t anticipate it will take that long to eat through the pantry (in fact the shelves are already looking pretty bare) but, I’ve been really focused on using up everything we have as a way to save money. When M opened the fridge this past Saturday, he immediately remarked “that’s one empty fridge.” It was, unless you like cheese and condiments, in which case come on over!
It’s about time to do another freezer inventory since I’m not 100% sure what is in there anymore and the bulk of the food we do have is in the freezer. I knew I had a bunch of boneless, skinless chicken thighs in the freezer, since I had stocked up last month when they were on sale. I had planned to use them all to make M’s favorite dish “The Chicken” but, I couldn’t stomach making it four times in the next six weeks. I ground up some of the chicken thighs for lettuce wraps, made “The Chicken” once last week and decided to stuff the remainder for dinner this week. The stuffed chicken thighs? Absolutely delicious! I pulled some fresh breadcrumbs out of the freezer, combined them with cheese, eggs, and a handful of fresh herbs, added in some lemon zest and then stuffed it into a chicken thigh lined with prosciutto. Fresh and light, but still impressive enough to serve to company!
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 5 slices of proscuitto
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (Italian blend)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 T chopped fresh rosemary
- Zest of one lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Pound chicken thighs until 1/2-3/4" thick. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Line the inside of each chicken thigh with a slice of prosciutto.
- In a bowl, combine remain ingredients. Spoon 1/5 of the mix on to the middle of each chicken thigh. Wrap the thigh over the filling and place seam side down in a baking dish.
- Bake 30-40 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.