Well, we’re officially homeowners. It’s been fairly anti-climatic, except for our first Lowes trip (we bought an UGA statue), some YouTube action to verify that we were in fact turning off the main water shut off for the house, and a Mint.com net worth balance that makes us both want to cry.
M was convinced that Mint was “forgetting” to add in some of our accounts. I pointed out that Mint was properly including our accounts; it was also properly subtracting our mortgage. It sucks paying for something we can’t enjoy (yet). I’ve got a post coming for y’all soon about our experience with the home buying process and getting a loan as a self-employed person.
As you can imagine, quick, easy comfort foods have been the necessity here. Luckily, Fall showed up just in the nick of time. Out came the slow cooker for a batch of belly warming tomato soup. The recipe made about four dinners worth, which was definitely intentional. As much as I’m trying to eat down the pantry, I know that having a bunch of convenient (healthy) meals will help us when we’re packing our thousandth box. We enjoyed the tomato soup paired with our favorite grilled cheese and then the rest was portioned into freezer bags for another night.
This slow cooker tomato soup is packed with flavors from the mirepoix (I totally cheated and bought a pre-made package from Trader Joes. For a couple bucks, it totally was worth the saved time.). The addition of fresh and dried herbs, combined with a Parmesan cheese rind adds a robustness to the soup. And while it is described as a creamy soup, the only added fat comes from a touch of skim milk added to a teeny bit of flour. We’re talking under 200 calories for a full bowl of soup. Get ready to warm your bellies.
Note: The directions below are written for the Ninja 3-in-1 Cooking System. If your slow cooker does not have a stovetop setting, simply saute your mirepoix on the stovetop and then add to the slow cooker.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 package Trader Joe's mirepoix (or 1 cup each of finely diced celery, carrots and onions)
- 1 1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 28 oz can whole plum tomatoes with juice
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 3 1/2 low sodium chicken broth
- Parmesan cheese rind
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 3/4 cup low fat milk (2%)
- 1/3 cup grated cheese
- salt and pepper
- On Stovetop High, heat the olive oil until hot. Add in the mirepoix and cook 5-6 minutes until golden. Stir in red pepper flakes.
- Pour the juice of the tomatoes into the slow cooker, then roughly crush the tomatoes with your hands. Add to the slow cooker along with chicken broth, cheese rind, thyme, basil and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on Slow Cooker Low for 6 hours. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth.
- Melt the butter over low heat in a large skillet. Add the flour and stir constantly with a whisk for 4-5 minutes. Slowly whisk in 1 cup of the soup and then the milk. Stir until smooth. Pour back into the slow cooker and add the grated cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on Low 30 additional minutes.